Review : Hada Labo Shirojyun Whitening Lotion (Rich)

by - Wednesday, December 27, 2017


If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you may have realized that a lot of super moisturizing products tends to break me out. I don’t know why, it’s just my sensitive skin I guess. So I never stop looking for the perfect moisturizer that suits my skin the best. I know cream moisturizers never work for me, and gels are the best. But I am curious to know how lotions will work on my skin. When I think of lotion moisturizers, I think of Hada Labo.

They have a few variety of these moisturizing lotions that you can choose depending on your skin type and concerns. This one that I purchased is for whitening. It has two versions, which is regular and rich. Reading reviews online, people are saying that the rich one is a lot better than the regular one no matter what skin type you have ; oily, normal or dry, so that’s what I went for.




If you know Hada Labo, you know one ingredient that they are popular for ; Hyaluronic Acid. This acid is very known for it's moisturizing benefits and is used in a lot of skincare brands. The whitening range combines 3 types of Hyaluronic Acids to ensure deep hydration of the skin. This lotion also contains Arbutin and Vitamin C Phosphate that acts as natural and gentle brightening ingredients. It contains no alcohol, colorant, fragrance or mineral oil. Sounds very promising!

Arbutin is an extract from natural bearberry plant. It is natural and safe with effective whitening properties. Arbutin is a popular and widely accepted ingredient in Japan as a skin whitening and depigmentation agent. Arbutin is used to enhance skin fairness and helps fight dark spots. Dull skin is renewed to reveal clear, fair skin. - Hada Labo website


The consistency is more like a milky toner than a lotion which is very watery, more like an essence. It is best to use your hand to pat this lotion into your skin than using a cotton pad. I use about two drops and that is enough to moisturize my skin through the night. The moisturizing effect is powerful! I wake up with bouncy and plump skin whenever I use this at night. It takes a little while to be completely absorbed though, probably around 40 seconds of patting it in.


The whitening promise is definitely true. I can literally see my skin looks a lot brighter in the morning, but I think to get the long term effect of whitening, you definitely should use it every night. I am in love with the effect that it leaves my skin with, except for one thing. It breaks me out. I realise that when I put this at night, I’ll get little bumps like two or three around my cheeks and chin. OMG! Such a bummer because I really really love this thing a lot and still have a lot to go through. I never used it in the morning though since it makes my oily skin oilier in this hot weather. It  has 170ml of lotion at the price of RM64.90 at drugstores. You can purchase them for RM50 something or cheaper when it's on sale. 

Maybe the rich formula doesn’t suit my skin, but I don’t think I’ll try the regular one either. At least for now. If you have dry skin, I think you will love this product a lot better. It’s just not for my oily skin. Too bad!

Pros :
  • Very moisturizing
  • Brightens the skin
  • A little bit goes a long way
  • Available at the drugstores
Cons :
  • Doesn't suits my oily skin

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Iman! Thanks for the post. I guess by now you've already discovered that you bought the wrong range. The red ones are for dry skin! Hence the intense moisture. Get the yellow one :) But if it breaks you out, that's ok, good luck on searching for products that suit you best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes you're right hahaha! I should've trusted my own skin instead of the reviews online lol. Would love to try out the yellow one soon. Thank you so much!

      Delete