Welcome, 2018

by - Monday, January 01, 2018


Dear 2018,

Today, I decided to be a little more personal for this book. I am glad that you’re finally here. For the fact that I was never actually happy in 2017.

My love for animals is superior to humans. I guess I just love the fact that I don’t need to have a conversation with animals for them to know that I love them. I made a choice to grow up working with animals than having to deal with people. I worked hard for my SPM, and applied for Diploma in Pre-Vet in UPM as the first choice in UPU course list, Foundation in Science as the second. I got offers for both Matriculation in Penang and Diploma In Animal Health and Production. I chose to go for Diploma, because I thought, what’s wrong with choosing the longer route when you’re already certain of where you’re going? More experience, more knowledge. I thought.

Little did I know, the competition to get into Degree in Veterinary is a lot higher if you’re from Diploma than if you’re from Foundation. I applied for the course first time after I graduated, didn’t get in. I thought that was it. I don’t know where was I heading anymore. So I decided to apply overseas and take a scholarship.

Degree of Veterinary, Murdoch University, Australia. I got the offer letter Alhamdulillah. It was not easy at all. I had to go back and forth from Bandar Baru Bangi to Nilai a lot of times in about 2 months. Settling documents, blah blah blah. I was over the moon when my agency called me and told me that I got in. Until the official offer letter was emailed to me.

Phew, the fee man. Of course I was aware about the expense of studying abroad. I have a full list of scholarships to apply in my notes. Unfortunately, none of them was available for me to apply before the enrollment. None of them. The governments' scholarships are closed due to the sick Malaysia currency, and the NGOs' just don’t offer scholarships for Vet. Most of them are just for Engineering, Medics, Lawyers, Accounting, etc. Don’t tell me that I don’t look hard enough. I sleep late at nights googling.

So I had to turn the offer down. For half a million bucks, I’d rather my dad pay that amount for a new house or a new car. It was my dream, to be able to study abroad. I remembered drawing Royal Veterinary College in London onto an A4 paper and stick it onto my wall when I was 17 lol. But Allah knows better. He got better plans for me. That’s what I kept telling myself to cheer me up.

So I applied for the same course, locally, for the second time. This time around, I am more positive, and redha. I promised to myself that no matter what course that I get this time, I’ll just go for it. So yeah, here I am, doing Bachelor of Animal Resource Science and Management in Unimas. Zoology for short.

I still don’t know how I feel about this course to be honest. Yes, I love wildlife animals 10 times more than the domestic animals. I don’t have any aim on where I am going after I graduate, yet. I just tell myself to do the best for each semester and see where Allah brings me.  

My final exam starts tomorrow, please pray for me. If you’re reading this, keep in mind. That we plan, but He decides. No matter how good we plan, He decides. And if His plan is ever different from yours, please know. That He knows you better than you. If He takes away something from you, He is saving you from the things He know may harm you or the people around you. Who knows? I may not be a good veterinarian after all due to my clumsiness. I might kill your dog. So He saved me from that.

And know that, it is not the end of the world. There’s still so much things in this world for you to discover. And so what if I don’t become a Vet? There’s still so much more that I can do to contribute to the nature. So these are my 2018 Resolutions:

-Be positive, and aim for the best at every single thing that I do.

-Cut on sugary drinks, drink more plain water.

-Keep the green note (RM5) in the piggy bank whenever you earn one.

-Don’t spend too much on makeup and skincare. Use up what I already have before trying a new one.

-Give more to others. The more you give, the more you get.

-Get into Dean’s list.

-Meet Super Junior if they ever come to Malaysia or Singapore.


2018, I hope we’re good.

Best Regards,


Iman Ridzuan.

You May Also Like

0 comments